Tuesday 17 September 2013

Bagel goodness

I'm a sucker for a good bagel. When Mr Fork and I make it to the New Farm markets (less of an occurrence now Ellie is around) I used to stock up at the bagel stand at 6 for $10, then freeze them and hoard them, savouring them for special breakfast and lunch occasions.

Since we rarely go to those markets anymore, I've been somewhat bagel deprived. Then I figured, $1.67 per bagel is kind of pricey, especially when I could get a whole loaf of decent bread for twice that. So I started to look around for a recipe I could utilise at home without needing a bread maker or any fancy ingredients. I think I've cracked it!

Bagels - makes 8

Ingredients:
4 cups plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
pinch salt
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warmish water

Method:
  1. Combine half the flour with the sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl.
  2. Add the oil and water and pour into the bowl 
  3. Use a wooden spoon and beat until smooth and creamy looking
  4. Add the remaining flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes
  5. On a lightly floured board, divide the dough into 8 equal size balls. Let them rest for 20 minutes.
  6. Roll each ball into a long log and wrap around to form a ring. Make sure the hole in the middle is distinctive otherwise it may close when the dough rises. Fuse the ends of the log and smooth over the join. Rest the rings for another 20 minutes.
  7. While the dough is resting for the second time, preheat the oven to 205C, boil a large pot of water and line a baking tray.
  8. Drop bagels into the boiling water and cook 1 minute on each side, then place on the lined baking tray.
  9. Bake for 10 minutes then turn over and bake for another 10 minutes.
Fresh out of the oven bagel goodness!

Tips and Substitutions:
  • I've successfully made this with a mix of wholemeal and white flour, and have even substituted some wheat bran for the white flour successfully. The recipe is pretty forgiving!
  • You can season the bagels before baking. After boiling them, drop them face down into the decoration - poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried herb or garlic for example. Continue to bake as per the method above.
  • I've also made these in a sweet version by adding cinnamon and dried fruit to the mix as well.

Cost of my home made bagels? About $1.50 for the batch if you use fancy flours (cheaper if you just use white flour)... so 19 cents a bagel. Much better than the $1.67 I was paying before, and I get the satisfaction of making them myself to taste. Win!

Tell me, have you made anything delicious lately?

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I made my very own jam doughnuts which were delicious and turned out perfectly! This weekend I am trying out churros so watch for those photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doughnuts did look totally amaze-balls!

      Churros! I looooove churros! I will await photos with much anticipation (and drool!)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...